The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has a critical obligation to provide public transit systems with the tools and resources needed to ensure the safe operation of those systems, while at the same time ensuring the safety of transit customers, transit employees, and others. The Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) has provided FTA with significant new authority to strengthen the safety of public transit systems throughout the United States through transit safety regulation and expanded oversight. MAP-21 grants FTA the authority to establish and enforce a new comprehensive framework – “Safety Management Systems” (SMS) – to direct public transit safety-related programs and activities.
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s (USDOT) strategic safety goal is “to improve public health and safety by reducing transportation-related fatalities and injuries.” In addition to implementing the new authorities for safety oversight established under MAP-21, FTA intends to work toward this strategic safety goal by advancing research to reduce transit fatalities and the number and severity of transit-related injuries.
The National Transit Safety Research and Assistance Center has gathered and continues to draw resources for this site related to the implementation of MAP-21 and actionable transit safety research that may be used to further transit safety goals, both from the national and local perspective. In addition to what has been posted to this site, the following resource sites and associated documents are available to further define the requirements established by MAP-21 and guide public transit systems in the implementation of safety management systems.
MAP-21 Website Resources
- Safety Management System Presentation June 3, 2014
- FTA MAP-21 Safety Webinar (2/28/13) February 28, 2013
- USDOT Improving Transit Safety: New Mandate Under MAP-21 January 14, 2013
- APTA Webinar on MAP-21, the New Surface Transportation Authorization Law January 1, 2013
- 03 Oct 2017(U) Active Shooter Indicators
- 24 Aug 2017TCRP Synthesis 126: Successful Practices and Training Initiatives to Reduce Accidents and Incidents at Transit Agencies
- 25 May 2017TCRP Synthesis J-07/Topic SA-39 [Active (Synthesis)]: Managing Extreme Weather at Bus Stops
- 08 May 2017Register for the Transit Asset Management (TAM) Webinar: Building an Asset Inventory
- 08 May 2017TCRP C-23 [RFP]: Assessing and Mitigating Electrical Fires on Transit Vehicles