The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Office of Transit Safety and Oversight (TSO) announces the availability of a new e-Learning course, “Rail Nomenclature,” on the TSO Safety Training and Resource website. This e-Learning offering will improve skills and awareness regarding the basic terminology and components used in rail transit systems.
“Rail Nomenclature” includes detailed modules on the following topics: Rail transit modes and vehicles, track and special trackwork, traction power, signal systems, rail grade crossings, and operations control center and vehicle maintenance facility.
“Rail Nomenclature” is designed for State Safety Oversight employees and contractors; personnel responsible for safety oversight at rail transit systems; and other website users, including FTA employees, researchers, and all public transit system personnel who are new to rail or have a general interest in understanding rail terminology.
- 08 Jan 2021FTA Standards Development Program: Crashworthiness/Crash Energy Management for Transit Bus (Report 0179)
- 31 Aug 2018Effective Practices in Bus Transit Safety Emergency Response
- 01 Mar 2018POSITIVE TRAIN CONTROL Many Commuter Railroads Still Have Significant Additional Implementation Work and Opportunities Exist to Provide Federal Assistance
- 06 Feb 2018Substance Abuse Model Policy Templates and Instructions for Adopting Policy
- 24 Jan 2018TCRP Report 194: Pre-publication Draft: Knowledge Management Resource to Support Strategic Workforce Development for Transit Agencies