This research is funded by the Florida Department of Transportation and is being conducted by the National Center for Transit Research at the Center for Urban Transportation Research. In March 2014, the National Center for Transit Research (NCTR), on behalf of the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) completed a study entitled, “Evaluation of Rear-end Bus Collisions and Identification of Possible Solutions.” The study concluded that Florida has a prevalence of rear-ended bus collisions that surpasses FTA Region 4, the United States plus Territories, and the six most populous states (California, New York, Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Florida). Many transit agencies in Florida have rates of rear-ended collisions that exceed Florida aggregate and the rest of the nation. Based on consultation with transit agencies through the Florida Transit Safety Network (FTSN) and the Florida Operations Network (FON), strategies to reduce rear-ended collisions were found in operator training, collision documentation and reporting, post-collision investigation, risk management, technology, paint schemes and graphics, and motorist awareness campaigns. This study will include an expanded examination of rear-end and side impact collisions involving transit buses at 15 case study transit agencies in Florida. Included will be a review of system safety program plans, collision documentation and reporting, post-collision investigation activities, risk management, training, and other pre- and post-event mitigation and management activities.
- 21 Jan 2021Current Practices in the Use of Onboard Technologies to Avoid Transit Bus Incidents and Accidents (TCRP Synthesis of Transit Practice)
- 21 Jan 2021Characteristics and Elements of Non-Punitive Employee Safety Reporting Systems for Public Transportation (TCRP Research Report)
- 21 Jan 2021FTA Annual Report on Public Transportation Innovation Research Projects for Fiscal Year 2020 (Report 0181)
- 21 Jan 2021FTA Standards Development Program: Crashworthiness/Crash Energy Management Follow-up for Less than 30 Ft Bus (Report 0141)
- 21 Jan 2021FTA Standards Development Program: Crashworthiness/Crash Energy Management for Transit Bus (Report 0179)