August 17, 2017, 12:00PM (ET)
TCRP Synthesis 126: Successful Practices and Training Initiatives to Reduce Accidents and Incidents at Transit Agencies
TCRP Synthesis 126: Successful Practices and Training Initiatives to Reduce Accidents and Incidents at Transit Agencies documents current practices and training initiatives, including bus operator training and retraining programs that have been effective in reducing accidents and incidents at transit agencies. The study also focuses on other system approaches that have been implemented to address safety hazards. These approaches include various technology applications, infrastructure modifications, and programs and initiatives such as driver incentive programs and close call/near miss reporting.
Presenters: Lisa Staes and Jodi Godfrey, Center for Urban Transportation Research
Lisa Staes leads a highly successful and motivated team that manages a number of transit safety and transit training and workforce development-related programs and projects. In addition, she has performed research and managed projects and programs in many areas of transit safety and security, including, but not limited to, bus operator assaults, and transit collisions/collision mitigation efforts; bus operator simulator training and the role of simulator training in reducing transit incidents; training certificate programs and elements of success. Ms. Staes is a member of the Transportation Research Board’s Task Force on Transit Safety and Security, is the Chair of the American Public Transportation Association’s Bus Safety Committee, and is a member of APTA Bus Standards Policy and Planning Committee.
Jodi Godfrey is currently a Research Associate at the Center for Urban Transportation Research at the University of South Florida (USF) where she works on the Transit Safety and Workforce Development Program Team. Ms. Godfrey received her Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Civil Engineering from USF in 2013 and 2015 respectively. Jodi is a member of the Transportation Research Board’s Task Force on Transit Safety and Security. Additionally, Ms. Godfrey was named the Tampa Bay Institute of Transportation Engineers 2016 Young Professional of the Year for her dedicated work in transportation safety.
- 08 Jan 2021FTA Standards Development Program: Crashworthiness/Crash Energy Management for Transit Bus (Report 0179)
- 31 Aug 2018Effective Practices in Bus Transit Safety Emergency Response
- 01 Mar 2018POSITIVE TRAIN CONTROL Many Commuter Railroads Still Have Significant Additional Implementation Work and Opportunities Exist to Provide Federal Assistance
- 06 Feb 2018Substance Abuse Model Policy Templates and Instructions for Adopting Policy
- 24 Jan 2018TCRP Report 194: Pre-publication Draft: Knowledge Management Resource to Support Strategic Workforce Development for Transit Agencies